We are seeking a Director, who is highly motivated to join our biology team and work on-site at an exciting biotech start-up in Redwood City. The Director will support Biomea’s growing Discovery and Clinical pipeline through scientific and technical leadership and execution. The successful candidate will perform as well as oversee studies to support lead identification and optimization of novel compounds and characterization of MOA. The role requires excellent communication skills, in-depth knowledge of preclinical pharmacology (biochemical and cellular assays, target validation and MOA, PKPD relationships) and ability to work effectively with other functional groups within the broader organization as well as with a network of CRO partners. In addition, the candidate will contribute to patent filings and publications and present research finding to various audiences including senior management. She/he will be a key contributor to Biomea Fusion’s success and will be interacting with senior leaders including the CEO routinely. The successful candidate is self-driven, organized, able to manage junior scientists, and able to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Provide scientific and strategic leadership to build and drive Biology efforts.
- Lead and collaborate with project teams to design, implement, and analyze in vitro and in vivo pharmacology studies to support Biomea’s preclinical programs.
- Oversee and support evaluation and selection of new targets/indications, design strategies for target validation, develop in vitro pharmacology criteria for lead molecule selection and advancement to clinical development.
- Contribute proactively to the discovery and preclinical pharmacology plans, including defining key milestones and decision points and timelines, identifying risks and mitigation strategies, selection of therapeutic indications, and IND filings.
- Communicate progress to internal stakeholders, KOLs, and participate in business presentations with external partners and investors.
- Supervise and mentor junior research staff.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Ph.D. in cancer biology, cell biology, immunology or a related scientific discipline with 10-12+ years of relevant industry experience.
- Solid hands-on experience with lead responsibilities developing, troubleshooting and optimizing cell-based, biochemical and molecular biology pharmacology assays and criteria in a small molecule drug discovery setting. Hands on experience with flow cytometry, and imaging-based assays is highly desired.
- Expertise in pre-clinical pharmacology studies in oncology is highly desired.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Successful track record of advancing candidates from discovery through preclinical development to IND filings.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills across multidisciplinary teams, strong mentoring skills, and developing talent.
- Ideal candidate is resourceful, innovative, can bring in new technologies and ideas and is eager to learn and innovate.