We are currently looking for an accomplished medicinal chemistry professional with a proven track record of success in small molecule drug discovery. The ideal candidate will be passionate about medicinal chemistry, appreciate synthetic work and leading a team of Medicinal Chemists. and the successful candidate will excel at working closely with scientists across disciplines. The position requires excellent people skills, a positive can-do attitude, and the ability to thrive in a highly interactive, fast-paced, team environment. This role is onsite at our San Carlos, CA location.
Roles and Responsibilities of the Position:
- Lead a team of medicinal chemists to drive drug discovery programs from inception to candidate nomination.
- Mentor the medicinal chemists on the team to develop a deep expertise and practical knowledge in all aspects of medicinal chemistry design including structure-based design, multi-variant SAR analysis, selectivity optimization, DMPK optimization, and developing robust IP positions.
- Grow the chemistry team to be highly effective in reducing ideas to practice by employing a broad range of modern organic chemistry transformations, synthetic methods, purification, and characterization techniques.
- Expand the group’s productivity by effectively leading CRO relationships and proactively investigating new or different technologies to improve the efficiency of the drug discovery process.
- Apply strategic thinking to advance projects employing the right focus to solve the unique challenges each project presents. Conduct scientifically sound and hypothesis driven research.
- Champion bringing new classes of targets or new modalities of target inhibition to expand and synergize with the breadth of our portfolio.
- Collaborate closely with the other Discovery disciplines to enable project success. Synergize with the broader team by communicating results, sharing insights, making plans, and setting goals in an open, honest way.
- Communicate with translational and clinical groups to develop and refine clinically informed, mechanistically grounded Target Product Profiles with a high confidence in providing drugs candidates meaningful benefits to patients.
Required Qualifications and Background:
- A passion for making drugs that can provide a real benefit for patients.
- An advanced degree (Ph.D.) in synthetic organic chemistry and 10+ years of relevant experience.
- Deep expertise in leading small molecule drug discovery programs in a biotechnology or pharmaceutical company setting.
- Proven track record of success in progressing programs from early leads to advanced candidates.
- Direct management experience of medicinal chemistry teams.
- An excellent leader and team player with ability to communicate synergistically with a multidisciplinary team and be accountable for the medicinal chemistry progress of the project. Highly organized with excellent analytical, documentation, time management, and multi-tasking skills.
- Strong passion for growing the organization’s talent and capabilities to stay abreast of new technologies and tackle new targets with the single-minded focus on helping patients.
Physical Demands / Travel:
- The physical demands of this job are consistent with working in a laboratory and an office.
- The physical demands here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- This position’s work environment is in a laboratory and an office.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those encountered by an employee while performing the essential functions of this job.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each role and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
At Biomea Fusion, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.