Title: Scientist / Sr. Scientist
Report to: Executive Director, Biology
We are seeking a Scientist / Sr. Scientist that is highly motivated to join our biology team and work on-site at an exciting biotech start-up in Redwood City. The Scientist will bring specific knowledge and expertise in assay development and play a leading role on pharmacology studies and driving projects from target validation to clinical proof of concept. The ideal candidate will be responsible for in vitro and in vivo evaluation of drug mechanism of action for current lead programs, identifying novel targets, and establishing screening assays to identify next generation drug candidates. The Scientist will work closely with biology and chemistry colleagues as well as with a network of CRO partners. The successful candidate will be a key contributor to Biomea Fusion’s success and will be interacting with senior leaders including the CEO routinely.
- In partnership with scientific leadership design, execute, troubleshoot, and interpret biological experiments in support of program objectives.
- Develop and implement a diverse set of quantitative and quantitative in vitro assays & biochemical systems to identify and validate potential biological targets and drug candidates.
- Independently design, develop, execute and interpret in vitro screens for small molecule drug discovery utilizing the most appropriate technologies to generate a robust discovery pipeline with translational value.
- Effectively communicate results and conclusions.
- Generate novel hypotheses and validate targets for modulation of immune cell/disease-relevant cell function.
- Contribute to translation of findings between in vitro and in vivo studies to enable biomarker identification.
- Supervise and mentor junior research staff.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- PhD in Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Systems Biology, or related field with 3 or more years of experience or Master’s degree in Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Systems Biology, or related field with 7 years’ or more, industry experience.
- Prior experience with mentoring and coaching of junior technical staff.
- Extensive experience with in vitro based assays.
- Solid experience in developing, troubleshooting, and optimizing cell-based assays, cell culture, proliferation assays.
- Expertise with flow cytometry, reporter cell assays, qPCR, molecular biology and biochemical techniques.
- Ability to design, develop, & execute experimental plans for independent projects.
- Creatively apply a wide variety of scientific concepts to solve complex problems.
- Strong experimental background and a rigorous, analytical approach to problem solving.
- Ability to maintain accurate documentation of experiments.
- Interact and communicate results and conclusions within the biology group and cross functional project teams.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
At Biomea Fusion, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran